The marigold-coloured spice, known as Turmeric, which is revered in India as ‘holy powder’, has been used for centuries to treat wounds, infections and other health problems. There has been increasing research into Turmeric’s main ingredient, Curcumin, and its astonishing array of antioxidant, anti-cancer, antibiotic, antiviral, and other, properties. Researchers have discovered that Curcumin acts by inserting itself into cell
membranes, and making them more orderly, a move that improves the cells’ resistance to infection and malignancy. It appears that Curcumin the pigment that gives Turmeric its yellow-orange colour, and which is thought to be responsible for many of its medicinal effects is able to ‘discipline’ cells, and get them back into working order.
The reason people in India refer to Turmeric as ‘holy powder’ is because it has such a broad range of health effects. In fact, Curcumin has been shown to influence more than 700 genes, with benefits that include:
1. Pigmentation: Apply a little Turmeric, mixed with Cucumber Juice or Lemon Juice, to the affected area to reduce pigmentation. Leave on for 15 minutes, or more, and wash off. For best results, do this every day until you regain your skin tone colour.
2. Strong Bones: To strengthen bones, add Turmeric to hot milk, and drink before going to bed at night.
3. This will assist in curing numerous ailments, and reduces the risk of developing osteoporosis.
4. Pregnancy Stretch Marks: To prevent unsightly stretch marks, due to pregnancy, apply a mixture of Turmeric and Malai, or Turmeric and Curd, to your stomach and waist before going for a bath. Leave it on for 15 minutes, and then wash off.
5. Wounds: Sprinkle a bit of Turmeric with Honey (optional), on cuts, bruises, or scrapes, after a thorough wash, as the anti-bacterial action will prevent wound infections.
6. Arthritis: Turmeric can be used to reduce pain associated with Arthritis. Warm a cup of milk. Before it boils, remove it from the heat, and add in one teaspoon of Turmeric powder. Stir, and drink it (this can be done up to 3 times daily).
7. Reduce Fats: Regular use of Turmeric reduces fats, aids blood circulation, and purifies the blood.
8. Cosmetic Use: For dry skin, make a paste of Milk Cream (1/2 tablespoon), Gram Flour (1 tablespoon – available in Indian stores) and Turmeric (1/2 teaspoon), and apply it daily to your face to own glowing skin without any marks. Leave out the Milk Cream if your skin is oily. Make sure to scrub the paste into your face well, as it helps to remove blackheads too. Turmeric may also be mixed with Almond Oil and Honey to purify and nourish skin.
9. Cysts: Turmeric is very effective in resolving Cysts. Apply a Turmeric paste on the Cyst. The Cyst is, generally, resolved in about one month.
10. Joint Pain: Mix 1/8 teaspoon Turmeric, 3 Cardamom Pods (optional), 1/4 cup Water, simmer for 5-7 minutes, then add 1 cup of Milk, 2 tablespoons Almond Oil (cold-pressed). Bring just to boiling point (but do not boil). Add honey or maple syrup to taste, if desired. Sip slowly as a hot tea.
11. Cancer/Leukemia: No-one really knows the quantity required to treat cancerous conditions, however, it’s recommended to take at least 10 grams per day (5 grams twice a day), dissolved in fat. The Curcumin in Turmeric is not toxic, so why screw around with low doses (however, be aware of the side effects).
12. Digestion/Metabolism/Stomach/Dyspepsia/Indigestion: (a) For a digestive system ‘cleanse’, mix 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric with 1 cup hot Milk, allow mixture to cool, and then drink. (b) To balance digestion, add 1 teaspoon Turmeric to 1 cup of Yoghurt, and eat it right after lunch. (c) For Stomach Ache, mix Turmeric and Honey.
13. Anaemia: Every day, take a dose of 1 teaspoon of Turmeric juice mixed with Honey.
14. Asthma: Boil 1 cup of milk and add 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder. Drink warm.
15. Burns: Mix 1 teaspoon of Turmeric with 1 teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel, and apply to burnt area.
16. Conjunctivitis: Mix 1 tablespoon of crushed raw Turmeric in 1/3 cup of water. Boil and sieve. Use 2-3 drops of this mixture in each eye, up to 3 times per day.
17. Dental Problems: Mix 1 teaspoon of Turmeric with 1/2 teaspoon of Salt. Add Mustard Oil to make a paste. Rub the teeth and gums with this paste twice daily.
18. Diabetes: Take between 1/2 teaspoon and 1 teaspoon of Turmeric 3 times per day.
19. Diarrhoea: Take 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric powder or juice in water (or with Yoghurt), 3 times per day.
20. Pain/Swelling: Mix 1 teaspoon of Turmeric and 2 teaspoons of Ginger with Water to make a paste.Spread over a cloth, place on the affected area (pain), and bandage. Also, add 1 teaspoon of Turmeric to 1 cup of Warm Milk, and drink before bed.
21. Other: Turmeric also assists Gallbladder, Premenstrual discomfort, Eczema, Endometriosis, Cataracts, Immune System, Melanoma, Heart/Cardiovascular conditions, Cholesterol, Liver, Colon, Coughs/Colds (take with Ghee), Alzheimer’s disease, Piles (Turmeric/Onion/Mustard Oil paste on rectal area), Allergies, Hayfever, Boils, Menopause, Heel Spurs, Bunions, Fatigue, Goiter, Sinus, Migraine/Headache, Obesity, Itching, Bruises, Inflammation, Eye Conditions, Respiratory conditions, and more.
22. Use Glutamine When Taking Turmeric: It is recommended to use Glutamine, at least 20 grams per day, with Curcumin, to make it maximally effective.